Monday, August 11, 2014

Ultimate Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie!

Yep, it's been a while again. But I intend on blogging more here and there as I can. To say life has been busy is an incredible understatement. I will be sharing more in the coming weeks through various blog posts though. I'm excited to be writing and blogging again, as time allows. :)

Today I'm here to share about snippet of our newest journey...a Real Food journey. We started it 5 weeks ago and I am already seeing results from it! I've taken baby steps and allowed mistakes and slip ups. And that's ok because I'm keeping the bigger goal in mind. And for those who maybe don't know what a Real Food journey is (and believe me...I'm STILL learning), in a nutshell it's eating nutritionally dense foods that God placed on this earth for us to consume. No artificial anything, just good, wholesome nutritious food that God has given us to enjoy and fuel our bodies to their maximum potential.

As a homemaker, it is my duty to ensure my family is well taken care of nutrionally, emotionally and spiritually. Over time, I felt that tug that changes needed to be made. Our nutrition was lacking in many areas, therefore our health was too. There were not enough fruits and veggies being incorporated into meals and carbs were a big part of most meals. Our cooking oil which we thought was "healthy" was indeed the complete opposite.

Over the last several weeks, I have spent many hours researching and gleaning a whole new perspective in regards to the food we fuel our bodies with. I have learned SO much in such a short time frame that it's nearly overwhelming! It's definitely been a lot to take in but I'm geeky like that and love to read all I can on whatever subject matter I'm interested in at that time. :P For example, I spent an entire week researching how to make yogurt from raw milk! Yeah...I've just about got it nailed. ;)

Without this being an overly lengthy post and boring you to death with what I've discovered so far, I will save that for another day and another post. :) I am excited to share our journey and share the information I've gathered thus far. I'll be sharing links to numerous blogs and sites that have been extremely helpful in our journey. I know there's so many more out there but I've not had time to discover them yet! But to stay on track for today's post, I'm going to share our new favorite breakfast (sometimes lunch!) that my kids and I LOVE!!

The Ultimate Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie!!!  (Pics coming soon...had a total lapse and didn't snap pics this morning :/ )

And when I say "ultimate", I mean ULTIMATE!! Seriously, this is so incrediby delicious and tastes like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake...and the best part is it's healthy!! Win win!

I had heard of these types of smoothies but never actually used anyone's recipe because
1) I didn't have all the ingredients on hand
2) The ingredients listed were questionable as to their health benefit (powders, thickeners, etc.)

Here's the recipe I created in my kitchen.  Using information from reading and researching and using good ol' common sense (which I don't have a whole lot of...but do have a little lol) I created this super yummy, super nutritious smoothie that is a perfect start to your day or even a wholesome lunch! It's very filling and a very good source of proteins.

Note: the ingredients I used were made from raw milk products which I have learned are so incrediby beneficial in so many ways. If you don't have raw milk products then use what you have. :) This makes a large batch for our family of 8. Approximately 48-54oz total.

Ingredients:
6 oz raw milk yogurt
2 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water (this helps keep the cocoa from clumping)
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 c oats
1/4 cup honey (more or less to sweeten to taste...we prefer ours a little sweeter)
1/4-1/3 cup liquid whey (from making raw milk yogurt or cheese)
1 Tbsp raw, unrefined coconut oil
2 tsp ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
contents of a wheatgrass capsule (or 1/8 tsp wheatgrass powder)
dash salt

Add all ingredients in a large blender. Once you add all ingredients, add enough ice to fill blender 3/4 of the way full. Top off with raw milk, enough to just cover the ice. Place the lid on your blender and use the Drink setting to blend your smoothie into creamy deliciousness! I run two cycles on mine to make sure everything is completely smooth and blended creamy.

If you do not have a Drink setting on yours, you can use your high pulse and hold for 30 seconds, release, then repeat again for an additional 30 seconds.

There's room for additional ingredients if you so choose, but made just this way is absolutely perfect!

I've also got a fruit smoothie recipe I will share another time. It's equally delicious and is chock full of nutrients and pure goodness!!

Enjoy!



May God Richly Bless You!



Kayla




No comments:

Post a Comment